Andhra Pradesh University of Law
Visakhapatnam (Main Campus)
Swamy Gnanananda Guest House
Palace Layout, Peda Waltair
Visakhapatnam - 530 017
Andhra Pradesh, India
: + 91 - 891 - 646 6255
: + 91 - 891 - 304 0170
In the state of Andhra Pradesh, a state that made giant strides in spreading higher education, the government felt the need for establishing yet another university which would exclusively provide quality legal education and strive to raise national legal standards to competitive international level and promote legal awareness in the community, to realize the goals embodied in the Constitution of India.
Thus, the A.P. University of Law Act (Act No.32 of 2008) of A.P. Legislature came into force on July 9th 2008 establishing A.P. University of Law at Visakhapatnam (Main Campus) with Kadapa and Nizamabad Centres.
The object of A.P. University of Law is to build on the traditional ethos of Andhra Pradesh and create a temple of learning. It aims at imparting quality legal education and organize advanced studies and research in all branches of law. The main objectives as enumerated in the A.P. University of Law Act are:
- To provide quality multi-disciplinary education in legal studies, keeping in view the demands of the global economy and the needs of the domestic society;
- To evolve and impart comprehensive legal education at all levels to achieve excellence;
- Promote research in all branches of law;
- To promote cultural, legal and ethical values with a view to promote and foster the rule of law and objectives enshrined in the Constitution of India;
- To promote legal awareness for achieving Social and Economic Justice for all;
- To promote inter discipline study of law in relation to Management, Technology, International Cooperation and Development.
The Government appointed Prof. A. Lakshminath as Chancellor of the University. Prof. A. Lakshminath, prior to this assignment was Vice-Chancellor of Chanakya National Law University at Patna and he is a renowned scholar in law. This towering personality as the First Chancellor is entrusted with the leadership responsibilities in successfully establishing and strengthening the A. P. University of Law.
The Government appointed Prof. Y. Satyanarayana as the First Vice-Chancellor of the A.P. University of Law. Yet another giant in the teaching profession with about 30 years of teaching and research experience in law, Prof. Y. Satyanarayana was formerly Principal of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar College of Law of Andhra University, Visakhapatnam.
The university will launch its B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) 5 year integrated course in July for the academic year 2009-2010. The University also starts Ph. D. and LL.D. Courses in July 2009. It will soon start P.G. Diploma courses:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Rights, Humanitarian Law and Refugee Law
- Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial and Intellectual Property Law
- Post Graduate Diploma in Alternative Dispute Resolution P.G. Diploma in Cyber Laws
- P.G. Diploma in Disaster Management and Law
- P.G. Diploma in Disabilities and Law (Curriculum details will be notified later)